Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Could it really already have been 20 years?



I don't know how this happened, but yes...my 20 year high school reunion just rolled around for Dear Old Davis High School in Kaysville Utah. I used to hear about the people going to these reunions and think..."Gee, those people are SO OLD". Hmm, guess I am now "SO OLD", but it doesn't feel like it. It feels like time just flew by. I was actually really excited to see old friends and catch up a little. I knew I would be attending with my two BFF's from high school, who I still see all the time, so that made the whole thing way more do-able and fun. Since we head to Utah every summer for about three weeks anyway, it worked out well to attend.
I have been friends with Heather Taylor Hansen since we were in 6th grade. I mean "best friends". Never apart from each other all the way through college. Heather and I were always so different in so many ways, yet we just had this connection. She is super outgoing, kinda crazy, very competitive, a prankster, so funny, very into sports, loud, has a quick temper, and is the most loyal friend I could have had. She kind of brought me out of my shell, and I kind of brought her back to reality. I have to say that much of high school and college was spent cringing as Heather went about being crazy and pulling pranks on people, but I never laugh as hard as when I am with her. Never a dull moment for sure. She is an amazing person and so strong and has been through so much. She is such a success story and I am so thankful that she was a part of my life growing up. She taught me to stand up for what I believe, take care of those I love, and work hard for what I want. She was on the show "The biggest Loser a couple of seasons ago", and I was amazed to see all the hard work she did there (and cringing to see her craziness as well).
Amy Oaks Stevens and I have been BFF's since our junior year in high school, when her family moved here. She fit right in with Heather and I, and the three of us became inseparable (which is a miracle in and of itself). Amy and I are kindred spirits. Sometimes our brains work exactly the same and it really amazes me. I feel like I can be my real self when I am with her. She is so talented (sings, cuts hair, makes everything around her beautiful), and she is one of those people that everyone wants to be around. She and I have stayed close since high school and she is so important to me. When I go to Utah each summer, I spend so much time with her and even our oldest daughters are best friends. Carver actually just thinks that Amy is one of is aunts, and that her kids are his cousins. It kinda seems like that. Amy and I were those kind of friends that just meshed. Never fought, never had jealousy, and we just have so many memories together. I was an avid journal keeper in high school and college, and Amy always tells me that it just as well could be her journal, because she is in almost all the entries. Amy is so witty and she makes me laugh all the time. Amy and I and Heather had such fun in high school together. We each had lots of other friends, but it was great to have these two close friendships that would never change. It was so fun to go to the reunion with them. The first night of the reunion was just for classmates and it was kind of a mingle sort of thing. It was so weird to feel kind of nervous, but it ended up being so fun, and kind of surreal.

John was a great sport at my reunion and the perfect date. It was fun to show off my cute husband. He gets along with Amy and Heather's husbands, so it was fun to be there together. He was so cute the whole night and kept telling me how good I looked...and said he didn't know that I knew so many people in highschool. I thought that was really sweet. I think the thing that surprised me the most about the reunion was just how everyone was so excited to see everyone else. I had all sorts of people come up to me and they seemed to know all about my life (there was a high school website that you could put your current info on), and I wouldn't have realized that they would have remembered me. It was so fun to catch up with people and see how they are doing. It seemed surreal that we have been out of high school for so long and some of our kids are getting so grown up. The night was great, and we really had a fun time.



Jenny Pratt and Adrianne Dunkley. Good friends that I caught up with for a while.
Me and Amy and Heather were our old high school selves again. We laughed so hard and had a great night. I only had to cringe from Heather's antics a couple of times.
Okay, so my idea was to post a high school picture next to this...but now I am not on my own computer and don't have the picture. Maybe I will update this at a later date.



1 comment:

Nicole Jackson said...

How fun it looks like you had at the 20 yr reunion. Mine wasn't that fun b/c lots of my friends from church didn't attend I was the only Mormon there besides my husband! I hung out with my BFF Michelle but she was also socializing with many other people! It was expensive for having only a few lame appetizers, lots of alcohol and a small book about what people are doing now! I was pretty disappointed! But I loved people faces when I told them that I have five kids!