Monday, March 16, 2009

BLOWN AWAY...by the space shuttle!

In John's own words...he was "blown away" at how cool the space shuttle launching was last night. John got the totally amazing opportunity to go and see the launch at Kennedy Space Center last night. He got "clearance" from a friend he used to work with, and so he was able to be out there with some production crews. So no...this post has nothing to do with me...I wasn't there, I didn't get to experience this, I didn't even get to see it from my driveway like I usually do (I was at a youth church fireside...which was amazing in a whole different sort of way), but I thought these pictures were SO AMAZING that I had to do this post in honor of John. Almost launch time. Notice the clock on the right. Three seconds left. John said the sun had just started to go down, but it was still light.
And then... "BLAST OFF". I think this picture is amazing. John said it was almost surreal to be watching it. He said that at this point, all the "smoke" you see is actually steam. There are huge water towers that spray water to keep things cool (if that is possible).

He said it took a few seconds before you could hear it, and then it was so loud. He said he was shocked at how much he could "feel" it. The ground was rumbling and shaking!
It was still light at this point, but the brightness of the rocket made it seem dark. Wow again!
I love this pink ring that the sun makes around the shuttle.
This is when John is shooting pretty much straight up as he sees the shuttle's path curve a little. He said the smoke trail was absolutely beautiful when the sun hit it. More pink and orange smoke

The launch pad afterwards


What an amazing experience for John. My little kids did get to watch it from our trampoline and they talked to John right after. I think they thought it was cool that Dad was really out there. Gotta love living in Florida!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics! Gotta love life in FL!

Alexa Slaughter said...

Great pictures! Kudos to John! And cute new layout! <3

Jodi said...

AWESOME!! I can't really imagine what it would be like to experience that in real life! Those pictures were incredible! It just seems like those are things that you witness only on tv. Lucky John!

Rebecca said...

UNBELIEVABLE!! John is rivaling you with his photography. Un.Freaking.Believe.Able!