Sunday, March 29, 2009

Birthday

It was my birthday on March 19th, and though I am now officially "pushing 40", I had a great day. John and I took off for the whole day (thanks to good friends who helped with out with our kids). The beach is my favorite place in the world (I know...I am a broken record), and thus...a perfect place for a birthday. We headed up to New Smyrna beach, spent a while there, and then checked out New Smyrna Dunes Park...which was amazing. It is about a 1/2 mile out to the beach, walking on these boardwalks, and then you are in view of the light house, and walking on beautiful white sand. I loved it.

John taking a look from one of the look out towers John made the whole day so special. I am so lucky to have a husband that won't let me lift a hand to do anything around the house, or help with the kids on my birthday. Hmm, I guess getting me away from the kids...and the house...meant that he didn't have to lift a hand either. Smart man!

And...he puts up with my photography addiction.



Don't know if you can really tell from the picture, but the sand really was so white, and just sparkling.

When we got home, the kids had made cupcakes, and wrapped presents for me. We had a fun little family celebration, put the kids to bed, and ate pizza while we watched a movie. Ahhh...a great end to a great day! Thanks to my sweet family and all of my friends that did special things for me.


And the most amazing gift of all...NO...not the Armour (I already had that, but it used to look very different)...had to do with John, some black paint, and this Armour. John made this Armour for me about 11 years ago. He did an amazing job and I have loved it and cherished it ever since. It has always had a clear finish on the pine, and recently I have been wanting to paint it black to match the rest of my bedroom furniture...but knowing what a big job it was, I never tackled it. John knew I wanted it painted, but he HATES any sort of painting and so he stayed away from the whole "Armour painting" conversation. Well, four days before my birthday I went to stay with our friends kids while they were in the hospital for Chemo-therapy. I was supposed to stay for 3 days. I stayed one day and then they unexpectedly came home (our friend was sent home because he was too weak to have the 5 day session), and so I headed home. I came home to "painting central". John had borrowed a paint sprayer, built a "painting tent" on our back porch, and was going to town with this project. Whoops...I ruined the surprise, but I was SO EXCITED ANYWAY. Just so you know how great of a sacrifice this was for John, you have to know that he HATES this kind of project. He is such a perfectionist that any little problem or defect about kills him...not making it a very pleasant process. So for him to take this on, when he didn't even really want the Armour painted...showed such true love. In the end, I think it was a good thing that I was home to watch the kids and take care of the house, as the project turned into a bigger thing than we thought. There were some blood sweat and tears...and a few frustrating moments (for John), but he worked so hard and made this Armour look SO BEAUTIFUL. I just love the way it turned out and it looks so great in my room. I love having a piece of furniture that my husband made and love it that it seems brand new all over again. Thanks baby...for all your hard work. I love you!
And just so you know what a truly wonderful friend I have, I needed to share this little incident. Sara Rose took Cooper for the day. Cooper and Gavin are great little friends...and apparently very mishchevious too. It seemed that every time Sara turned her back, these two were into something different (they must be two). At one point, she gave them bubbles, turned her back for just a minute, and they promptly dumped the contents onto the table, rubbed it around, and gave themselves a hair shampooing. Sorry Sara...but it made for a great picture. Thanks again.

2 comments:

Kevin, Sarah & Kids said...

We are so Glad you had such a PERfect day! Florida is your perfect place for sure!

Alexa Slaughter said...

Awesome pictures! I'm so glad you had a great birthday. Looks like so much fun. If there's one thing I'm going to miss if I don't come home this summer, it's the BEACH! Ahh...

And not to put any dampers on your Utah trip, but the ground is covered with snow again... it stuck from last night's little storm. And it's been misting snow all day. I want the snow to go away as much as you do! I hope it does for your trip. Saturday was absolutely glorious, and then came the snow Sunday morning... :( Have a great time in Utah! <3