Sunday, October 26, 2008

"TRI"- ing in the rain

This past Saturday was the Orlando Women's Triathlon...at Moss Park. One year ago exactly, this was the first Tri that my friends and I competed in. This Tri was number 4 for most of us. We all remembered how nervous we were a year ago...being first timers, and it was so nice to at least know the ropes a little...though the nervousness never really goes away for me. It had been raining the whole day before the Tri, and we were all praying that the rain would stop. The thought of biking on a wet surface with tiny road bike tires...scared us all. Plus rain just makes everything a muddy mess. We thought we were in the clear as we got there and set up, but then as we started to swim, it started to rain. It rained on and off the whole race...with a good down pour at the finish line. You can't really see how wet and dirty it was in these pictures, but it was a little crazy. At least now I am not scared to do a triathlon in the rain...because I did it...and still felt like I did well. Following are some pictures of the race...but I do have a small disclaimer. My daughter Kinsey informed me that all my Tri Pictures from each race pretty much look the same...and isn't it kind of "weird" that I keep posting them all (gotta love a teenage daughter). And yes, she is right, it all kind of looks the same. So just so you know, and no one thinks I am too "weird", I am doing this mostly for my own journaling and for all my Tri-sisters...who I know will appreciate it. After all the hard work and many hours of training...we Mom's need a solid record of what we really achieved. Most things we do in life are ripped apart the next day (laundry, housework, etc.) so sometimes we need to feel like the things we work hard for...really happen. Here are five of my seven friends that competed (we were all rushing around when we got there, and it was hard to get a group shot) early in the morning as we set up for the race. This is Rachel, Sara, Me, Andrea, and Beckie. I think we have a little "super hero power" going on in this shot. Our Tri suits have some serious reflectors.
This is Rachel Mann, one of my favorite people. She did not do the last three Triathlons with us, but...she is the INSPIRATION for all of this. She did a Sprint Triathlon a while back...told us all about it, and basically inspired us to start. I had just had Cooper at the time and I thought it would be a great way to get back into shape. Rachel got pregnant a few months later (so her Triathlon days were on hold) and now she has a beautiful 6 month old baby girl. We were so excited to have her "Tri" with us. I did a lot of training with her, and it was so much fun that way. Thanks Rach.

And the race begins. The 1/2 mile swim went okay. It always feels so long and a little creepy to be so far out in a dark lake...with the alligators. I did improve my time, so I guess it went okay.
Here I am heading out for my bike, with wet roads. Not raining at the moment, but after about three miles, it started raining pretty hard. I had water dripping from the front of my helmet. I was able to keep my speed up pretty much to what I was used to, but the corners were the tricky part. It would have been so easy to fall, and so I just took them very carefully and was careful to pump my brakes. But actually I felt good the whole bike, and I was able to push myself and the rain kept me cool. When I was around mile 8 of the 12, a girl ahead of me got a flat tire (that would be the end of the race for me). As soon as she stopped, two of her team mates (they must have been on a Tri team together), stopped, jumped off their bikes, and started helping her change her tire. It was amazing and gave me chills. No one would have blamed them for going on ahead and achieving their own goals, but they stopped to help a friend. What an amazing example.

It had stopped raining by the time I did my run (2.7 miles). Mentally, this was my best run. I just felt good during it. The first 1/2 mile is hard because my legs are so tight, but the rest I felt great. Usually I feel like I want to die during the run, but not today. Who knows why...but I'll take it.
Made it to the finish line, finished the race in 1 hour 23 minutes...which was a little better than my goal. As soon as I finished the race, it started raining again...hard!
Me and Sara after the race. Wet, but happy to be done.

All seven of us. Me, Sara, Rachel, Tracy, Marie, Beckie, and Andrea. Wet, sandy, and filthy, but happy that we accomplished our goal. And though you can't see it...it is POURING by this time. Many of these girls ran across the finish line in a downpour.
What a dedicated...and cute family. They were such troopers to stand in the rain for so long and cheer me along at each transition. Carver even made me a sign. They were the only ones smart enough to bring raincoats. (yes..we are from Seattle, so we actually own raincoats) Thank you to my sweetie John for taking on the task of photographer, videographer, kid wrangler, wife supporter, and raincoat police. Love you baby!
Oh the cuteness. Cooper, hanging out at the Tri...while the Sand Cranes follow him around. (These birds are everywhere in Florida. In fact, we have a family of them that practically live in our back yard)
And to all my Triathlon friends...I will have all my other shots of the Tri posted on Face book if you want to check them out.
Here is a link to one of the professional pictures of me on the bike.

4 comments:

Andreared said...

The pictures absolutely DON'T look the same!! We are thinner, buffer, and hotter in each one! We have to continue taking pictures so that we can document the continued progress of our hotness!!

Thanks for taking pictures of us Amy! And thanks for being so darn good that all of us want to beat you (because we know that NOBODY can beat Sara!)

Jodi said...

I love the pictures Amy! That pose with the flexed arms is totally different! Maybe you can get together before the races to practice different poses with you friends.:) You are very inspiring! Keep of all of your hard work. Also, I love the rain pictures. Washington flashbacks for sure. Tyli will be so jealous when she sees the birds Cooper get to hang with. She LOVES birds.

Rachel said...

Okay--I called you a crazy woman on my blog, but I didn't really mean it. I'm so grateful for the wonderful pictures you took of my kids and that you had enough energy to do so!!

Nat's blog said...

wow! YOu inspire me! I miss those crazy cranes...they are seriously everywhere! What made you decide to do a tri?