Check out my photography blog
Thursday, October 9, 2008
General Conference. Loved it!
One of my favorite things about being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is knowing that we have a living prophet on the earth today. Twice a year I look forward to General conference so much, as a chance to hear the apostles of our Savior speak, and to hear our prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, address us. This conference was wonderful. I love to have my little family gathered 4 times in two days, all of us sitting in front of the T.V, (we only get conference through the internet on BYU T.V., but John hooked our TV to the computer, so it was great), usually the kids have some sort of activity to do or they take notes...and we listen to conference together. Yes...we had to get over a bit of grumpiness at moments (Kennedy's b-day sleep over Friday night...not much sleep happened in this house), but we still enjoyed the sessions so much and the kids were really good.
I had many favorite talks in this conference. I always come away feeling like I can improve myself in so many ways, yet I don't feel overwhelmed. This year considering our country is going through such financial stress, I wondered if the feeling of conference would be a bit cautionary and a maybe gloomy. Instead, I was so touched as our loving Prophet spoke to us in a talk entitled, "Enjoy the Journey". In these times of strife, he was inspired to speak to us on how we should enjoy every minute of our lives and see the beauty of the small things. I could feel the love that he has for us and feel that our Heavenly Father truly wants us to be happy here on earth, and whether times are prosperous or tough, we need to live in the moment and remember how blessed we are. He told a story of a man named Jay Hess, who was a P.O.W. and how while he was in prison, he really tried to think of the simple and pure things that he wanted his family to know that he held dear. Things like the temple, family, photographs, memories. This man (Jay Hess) lived across the street from me growing up, and was in my ward most of my life (and still lives across the street from my parents), so it was fun to hear a story about someone that I know. The kids and I also really enjoyed the biography of Pres. Monson that was aired on BYU TV after the Sunday morning session. What an amazing man he is and what a wonderful life of service and love he has lived.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wow Amy! I'm reinspired by your thoughts on general conference! You are amazing. Also, I was thinking of you and wonder how people in Florida do watch general conference so thanks for the info.
Conference was great, Chris Raskey always e-mails me reminding me to find joy in journey. I didn't watch the whole thing, but for FHE we are going back to the DVR to watch it. I also watched the Prez Monson story, it was great. I learned so much.
Clay
Post a Comment