Okay...what can I say...I'M THRILLED that my daughter has had the dream of going to the college that John and I graduated from. We didn't push her to do it...but she has WORKED SO HARD FOR THIS GOAL, and we are so proud of her.
Oh, and if you havent guessed...KINSEY GOT INTO BYU!!!! (I guess it is important to state that Kinsey also got into University of Florida...a very very difficult school to get into. And she also got into BYU idaho)
The excitement level of our house has been VERY high as we can finally talk about the reality of Kinsey going to the school of her dreams.
I realize it is that time of year when many seniors find out their fate. Find out where they will go to college. But knowing the back story of this girl of mine, just makes it so amazing. First of all...you have to realize how hard it is to get into Brigham Young University these days. It is a private school owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. So many people want to go there, that the standards are VERY high to get in. I don't know if Kinsey's friends from school realize what a big deal it is to get into this school. Kinsey has wanted this since she was small. We visit the campus in the summers, and she has attended youth camps there, and she knows what a stellar institute of learning it is, and she has been very focused. I feel like so many of her decisions for the past 4 years have been all about getting into college, getting into a college she wanted, and getting scholarships. If you want to describe "determined", Kinsey would fit into that description.
This is the part I get to brag a little. Kinsey would die if she knew I had a post all about her "accomplishments"...but oh well. Kinsey has had straight A's all through highschool (and middle school too). In fact, with all of her AP classes, she has a 4.9 weighted GPA, and 4.0 unweighted. She has taken a crazy amount of AP classes, and passed a crazy amount of AP tests. In fact I remember when she was studying for her first AP tests and she was astonished that everyone didn't take the studying as serious as her. Well, I guess it paid off. She has something like 24 college credits. And all the studying she did for those AP classes (a crazy crazy amount each night), has prepared her for the amount of work she will have to do in college. I don't think she will be shocked by the work load at all. And all of this she did on her own. She is very self motivated. I watched her over the years and realized how much effort she put into all of her classes. She put in effort, even when others in her classes were not. I was so impressed with that. She has also been involved in Student government each year, (this year she is Senior Class Vice President). She is also one of the leaders in National Honors Society, and is heavily involved in Chorus. I know many kids are "involved", but you have to understand, that Kinsey does NOT like to be the center of attention, and has a very shy side to her, so this has been a really an accomplishment for her to come out of her shell. She is a good and loyal friend. She is down to earth, humble, hard working and kind...and she is graduating 16th in her class (of 800 students). I AM SO PROUD OF MY FIRST BORN.
Since Kinsey found out about BYU, the conversation around the Lopez house has been so heavily about "all things BYU" , " all things college". Kinsey have been talking non stop about where she should live, what the classes will be like, what the snow is like, what kind of people we think she will meet, what job she will get when she gets there...etc. etc. etc. Surprisingly, Kinsey really listens to what I have to say about BYU, even though i was there so many years ago. I feel like we have really bonded in talking about Kinsey's future experience at school. She is so excited, I am so excited, and it is neat to see her future coming so soon. Kinsey wants to go into the very competitive Nursing program at BYU, and we talk a lot about that too. If anyone can do it, it is Kinsey. She already has the work ethic, the determination, and the smarts.
Okay...now that I have stated that I am SO HAPPY FOR HER, I need to confess...I AM GOING TO MISS HER SO MUCH AND I'M REALLY HAVING A HARD TIME WITH ALL OF THIS. It's not that I don't want her to have this experience, I totally do. I am just having a hard time with the fact that this day has come so soon. I am having a hard time that my family will be changing so much. Only three kids at home? That will be so different and so hard. I will truly miss this girl of mine so much. She is such a pleasure to have around and it is hard to imagine my family without her. Though for her...I can see that she very much has a touch of "senior-itis" and wants to be on her own. So I guess it will all work out.


1 comment:
How exciting!! Tell her congratulations! Oh I cannot believe that she is going to college. Where have the years gone. She is so beautiful!!!!!
Post a Comment