Monday, July 12, 2010

A tribute to "Trek"

Did the pioneers "walk and walk and walk and walk"...through Florida? Well, no...not the Mormon Pioneers, but WE DID! I had the amazing opportunity to go on the Pioneer Trek with 200 youth and leaders. On a very small scale, we recreated what it would have been like to have been a mormon pioneer, treking across the united states towards and unknown destination, all for the cause of the true gospel and religious freedom. We dressed in period clothing, pulled handcarts, walked through rain and heat and humidity, camped in the "wilderness", and got a "glimpse" of what it might have been like



Since I went on the Trek as the photographer, I had the unique opportunity to see these kids up close, in their individual families, as I walked along with them. I could see them coming to the understanding of what others had sacrificed for them. I saw them do very hard things. The heat and humidity were horrible, and the rain storms were unrelenting, the hand carts heavy...yet I did not see these kids complaining. It was truly an amazing experience.


I might be biased, but this is my favorite Pioneer girl





This was our final camp. It was so neat to be in these untouched beautiful spots in Florida. The trek was held on the huge church ranch south of Orlando.


Stefanie Dowdy, my wonderful friend and assistant. She came along specifically to help me with the photography . She was also the "chauffeur" when I needed to be picked up or driven ahead to wait for the kids. I'm so glad she came on trek. We had a wonderful time together.





We had such a large group from our ward. Lots of kids, ward leaders and stake leaders,

Kinsey and Danielle Machado...her "big sister". Every time I saw Kinsey on Trek...she had a huge smile on her face.


Kinsey and Clay




Some highlights. 1. The Ferry. It was so neat to see each family have to make it across the water. 2. the women's pull (the hardest, but most amazing part). The boys were taken off to the "militia" and the women were left alone to pull the carts for an hour or so...through the thick sand. It was so hard but a bonding moment for sure. Made us miss those boys so bad. What a sight to see them waiting for us and cheering us on. 3. The dance... or hoe down. Fun to see the kids interact and have so much fun after these long days of hardship. 4. The pony express brought each youth a letter from their parents. They had solo time to read them. It was really a special time.

Rachel...my sister and friend. Well...adopted sister. Rachel is one of my close friends and she and her husband were a Ma and Pa for a family. I adopted myself into their family (an adopted aunt) for much of the trek and walked with them and enjoyed getting to know all these kids. Rachel and I had hours and hours of talking and walking. Made the time go fast.


The kids had a "anti-mormon" encounter along the trail. These "scary" harassers played the part well. Enticed the kids with cold drinks and watermelon and brownies...but refused to serve them once they found out they were Mormon. Forced them onto a road of deep sand...at gunpoint. Effective.

Some other important highlights. 1. Hairwashing. Oh that was the most amazing feeling. The stake leaders let us all line up and they washed our hair. Felt amazing. 2. Walking in the rain. The first day the kids walked 16 miles. It poured for about 3 or 4 of those hours. At one point we had to huddle close to the ground and under tarps during a horrible (and close) thunder storm. Quite scary. We were wet for the rest of the night until we reached camp at dark (true miracle that my camera made it through this alive). Hard...but those are the moments that you remember.
3. Babies. Each family had a baby that had to be carried the whole time. At one point in the trek, some of the babies died, and Kinsey's was one of them. She had carried that baby non-stop and was very sad. 4. Seeing the kids work together. They were wet and tired, but they would come into camp and work together to set up their tarps. It was so neat to see how close the families got.
So I am so glad that I was able to experience this Trek. So thankful that I could be there with Kinsey. So thankful that I can worship what I believe in without persecution.

3 comments:

Simply White said...

I love all of your new posts. You've had a busy summer, but what fun! I sure wish I lived by you so that you could take pictures of my family. I love your enthusiasm for life!

Jocelyn said...

Amy -- I'm Matt Rose's sister, Julie. Anyway, can I just tell you how much I love your blog? Your photos are gorgeous, of course. But your words are, too.

Jodi said...

Sounds a like such a fun experience! Your pictures turned out great! Kinsey is a really cute pioneer...and so are you. :)