Thursday, April 15, 2010

Can a 40th birthday be FABULOUS...YES!!

40th birthday. Hmm. How do I feel about this? Well, though I have never really dreaded the thought of turning 40 (because it is the new 30...right?), I didn't totally look forward to the actual birthday. It came on the heels of a hard year, full of trials and physical issues and though I have so much to be grateful for, it just seemed like it would be hard to be in a celebratory mood. Well, my amazing friends and wonderful husband turned that attitude right around. A week before my birthday I was completely SURPRISED with a limo, a dinner with even more friends, a tutu and crown...(which they made me wear), and such a wonderful evening. Truly surprised. I had been sick all week with strep and John never let on that I almost RUINED THE PLAN. I don't know how they pulled it off, how John stayed so calm, and how no one let the secret slip. Thank you so much Sara, Beckie, and Stef. I know you all did so much planning. Just simply knowing that friends would go out of their way so much just for me, truly made me realize what a good life I have. The whole night I was overwhelmed with gratitude.

A chauffeur showed up at my door with a gift and card and told me to follow the instructions. I had to put on the tutu and crown,and meet my friends in the limo with John and the girls. I seriously couldn't figure out how anyone pulled this off without me knowing. I was so surprised. It was so much fun.

The sweet...and sneaky, planners.


On my actual birthday, even though it was such a crazy week with things that John and I were involved in with the youth for church, we were able to squeeze in a small get-a-way. A dear friend had given us a gift certificate for a night away, and another dear friend offered to take our kids, so John and I sneaked off to Daytona Beach. Our hotel was right on the beach and I was just in Heaven. Yes...the beach is still and forever my favorite place. We just relaxed and enjoyed ourselves.





Stefanie and Chris Dowdy drove up and had dinner with us. That made it all the more fun.



I think my kids had a blast at the Hillis home while we were gone...and though Carver did throw up in their car (gasp), I am hoping that we are all still friends (I think he got it in a bag). The day after we got home, my kids made me a wonderful cake, and gave me some gifts, and we had our own little celebration. I love them so much and happy to have 4 wonderful kids in my life.

2 comments:

Simply White said...

Happy Birthday Amy! You look awesome! I love seeing all that you guys are doing.

Nicole Jackson said...

What a fun 40th bday! Love the Tutu, you look hot, and love the surprise! My 40th was fun and now I am embracing the 40's and making the best of it!!!