What in the world? My kids helping each other with homework? Getting their reading done? Coloring quietly? And GETTING ALONG, all before dinner one night? SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG.
Yes, I would love to just post this picture and pretend that things are always like this. But not true. This particular night Kinsey and Kennedy had just gone running together, and they got home and Kinsey started helping Kennedy with homework. The boys had gotten an early shower and just settled into reading and coloring. No chaos, no fighting. Hmm. Looks so blissful.
In fact, now that i think of it, most of the pictures I post make it look as if there is a cloud of bliss settled around my family. Well...I am here to say...THAT IS NOT TRUE!!! And as much as I would love to be the kind of person that shows and tells the truth on my blog, and shows the down times as much as the up times....the truth is, I'm just simply too lazy to take pictures of my messy house, or my piled up laundry, or my fighting kids, and then blog about it. Yes...that is real life, but I can barely find the time to blog about the good times, let alone blog about the stuff that I simply want to FORGET.
But back to my picture here. What I am really trying to say is that I am grateful that we have these MOMENTS. It may not always be blissful in my house. Many times it is chaos happening. Many times these four people annoy each other. Most of the time kids are running in and out from this activity or that. Most of the time John gets home late from work because of his long commute and dinner doesn't even happen until 7:30. Many times I am working on my computer editing another photo-shoot, hiding away in my room...while just yelling a few instructions for my kids. Many times I feel neglectful. Many times I wish my kids would be more of a team. Many times the laundry is piled up. Many times my kids act annoyed that I want to do family scripture time and prayer. Many times I feel overwhelmed with all I have to do...and all that I am not doing.
But on the flip side...we do have wonderful moments too. Kinsey and Kennedy are starting to become better friends and realize that they can help each other and go places together and laugh together. Kinsey drives the kids so many places, and will run to the store for me...and likes a clean house as much as me. Kennedy would be Cooper and Carver's mom if they let her (unfortunately, that is what makes them scream the most), and is a great cleaner (when she wants to be). Cooper and Carver, though they do spend much of their time wrestling and jumping off couches, also have their quiet sweet moments, and moments when they just make us all laugh with their dance moves. And many times we do have those amazing moments during our nightly (well...sort of nightly) scripture study where the kids really seem to "get-it" and ask amazing questions. Many times we do feel the spirit as we pray together. And for all this, I am grateful.
So yes...just let me savor this image of my cooperative kids for a moment. Awwww. Okay, I hear screaming. I have to get back to reality now.

No comments:
Post a Comment