Monday, October 26, 2009

Getting a little dirty

What could be better than a day helping out a good friend. Last Saturday Kinsey and I helped with Clay Roe's Eagle Scout project. Clay put so much time into earning the money and planning this project, and the final result was amazing. He built a shaded relaxation area, (including a gazebo, landscaping, and furniture) for a group home that houses 5 disabled adults. I was so impressed and it was great to be a part of it. Kinsey dug in ...literally, and worked so hard all day. That girl is not afraid to get dirty. I dug in too, but made sure I grabbed the camera to document the event in between shoveling. Hey...that's important too, right?
Since my boys are still young, I don't know that much about the "scouting stuff", so it is good for me to get an idea of what I am in for. If my boys turn out like Clay, I will be a happy mother. What a great kid. He is a great friend to Kinsey and to our whole family. My boys idolize him and want to be like him, or be playing with him. When ever Carver refers to something about growing up (like holding the priesthood, or playing a sport, or going on a mission), he asks, "Well, does Clay do it"? Clay has such high standards and has shown true courage this past year dealing with some very difficult trials of his own. He feels like he is part of our family, so I just had to brag about him a little. Wow...two posts in one week talking about how great teenagers are.

Adam, Kinsey, and Keriann bringing in the landscaping. Keriann is Clay's sister, and she is amazing too. She is in my young womens group and church and I just adore her. Adam padilla is a geat kid too. I think working with the youth at church is the greatest calling ever. I get to know all these kids so well and be a part of their lives. Their examples are so important to the younger kids .




Kerianna nd Kinsey did A LOT of ground clearing. It was hard backbreaking work. But as soon as the grass was cleared, the path way started to go down. Mason and Clay below, hard at work preparing for the pavers.







Job well done

BEFORE

AFTER


The finished product was wonderful. The back yard seemed transformed. These residents seem to agree.

No comments: