Monday, October 19, 2009

A beautiful run

Last week, Kinsey's Cross Country meet was in Dade City Florida, about two hours away from us. It was certainly worth the drive. This coarse (built for Steeple Chase) was so beautiful. It was a nice overcast day, with lower temps than the week leading up to this (these poor kids have been doing their afternoon work-outs in 96 degree weather). For this meet we left the other kids with friends, drove up with our Dowdy's, and made a day of it. Kinsey told me it would be RIDICULOUS to blog about every meet...so I won't, but I loved the scenery at this meet and it was such a neat experience to be there.





Stefanie Dowdy and I
Here come the runners. They ran this giant loop two times, and then looped through the middle a little.



"Can't get my spikes off"
Kinsey did a great job. The week before this meet she shaved 2 and a half minutes from her time, and even though this coarse had some inclines, she PR-ed by a few seconds.

Okay, I just need to brag about my teenage for just a minute here. That is allowed on blogs once in a while...right? Especially since Kinsey is the last one in the world that would ever talk about herself. She will even cringe at the blog about her running (she still claims that she is not even a good runner...even though she runs all these amazing distances). She will cringe at all of this now, but one day in the future she will see this and know how much her mother admired her...and she will appreciate it. Maybe. This teenager of mine is such an amazing kid. I feel like she does so much, but does it is such a humble way. She is such a beautiful and talented girl, but she quietly goes about her life and doesn't think of herself that way. She gets up every morning for seminary and leaves the house by 5:40, attends all her AP classes in school (where she pulls straight A's), and then goes to practice, runs crazy distances in crazy heat and humidity, then comes home and has hours of homework, still helps around the house, still goes to her church activities, and still truly cares about her friends and the things they are going through. She plays the piano, mostly self taught lately, finds time to read books, and is just such an easy and wonderful kid. I am so proud of the choices she makes in her life. I trust her so completely. I love her friends, and I love the friend that she is to others. She listens to them and cares about them. She is a quiet girl that has a hard time going outside of her comfort zone, yet I know she goes out of her way for her friends in small quiet ways. She is sure that boys don't really "look" at her, or think of her as attractive (SO UNTRUE), which is crazy, but I love it that she is not caught up in being the center of attention or worrying about what every boy thinks, and instead is just a good friend to them (I am usually the one telling her she needs to flirt more). She holds so tightly to her standards, but again, in a quiet and humble way. Yes...she is a normal teenager and she has her moody moments, she is NOT a morning person, and sometimes her younger sister drives her crazy...but we are all human. So to all those mothers of little children, that are scared for them to grow up and turn into the evil teenager...I am here to tell you...teenagers can be great. I am loving this time with Kinsey.


2 comments:

Lorraine Roe said...

Kinsey really is a good friend. She is a great example of being humble always and I really admire traits like that. Thanks for being a great friend Kinsey and example to everyone in the quiet ways you show it :)
Clay

Simply White said...

What a cute girl! I am so proud of her. I still think of little Kinsey. I would love to actually get to know your kids now that they've all grown up.