Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Cross Country madness!


Just finished mile one...still looking happy...and fast!
Yes...my daughter... the same one who a few years ago told me that she "HATED" running, is now on the Timber Creek Cross country team, and seems to be loving it. I have been telling her for years that she has the natural build of a runner and that if she trained, she could get quite good. I have been running for years and years and she can keep up with me... even when she hasn't run for months (oh the beauty of being young). So she finally decided to do cross country. She joined late, and had only been practicing for a week when this meet came around, but she did great. I am so proud of her. Oh...and even her coach told me that she has the natural build of a distance runner. Hmm...funny how Kinsey took that comment far more seriously when her coach said it...rather when her silly old mother said it (over and over).


We had never been to a cross country meet before, and I honestly thought it was just going to be sitting at a finish line and cheering the runners in. Well, it was totally different than I thought. First of all, so many schools competed and it was a high energy kind of event. It was amazing how many runners were out there. The teams compete in waves...(V girls, V Boys, JV girls, JV boys), and so you get to see so many races. These races (5Ks) are over in no time because these kids are so fast. The course is beautiful and it weaves back and forth so we got to basically follow the runners around and see them at so many points in the race. It was really exciting and so much fun. Oh...I can't forget to mention the heat... for so early in the morning. Gotta hand it to these runners. I guess that is why they train every day after school around 3:00 for a couple hours...running about 5 or 6 miles, and doing speed relays. I guess that makes them used to the heat a little...if that is possible...YUCK!


Kinsey at mile 2

Go Kinsey! Go Kinsey!


Heading to the finish line. Still looking cool, calm and collected...though I don't think she was actually feeling that way;) Most runners can attest to the fact that feeling naseaus at the end of a race is just part of the fun!


Kinsey is lucky enough to have three of her really good guy friends on the cross country team. They are in our ward, and also her friends at school. It makes for fun meets cheering for all these kids. This is Mason, and let just say...FAST! He is also new to the team, but I think here at his 2 mile mark, it had only been about 13 minutes.


Mason's parents, Stefanie and Chris...also our good friends.


Go Mason

Derek getting serious at the end...passing guys right and left.

Adam kicking it up at the finish.
The kids had some of their friends come and support them and cheer them on. Good job to all the runners. A fun day for sure.

No comments: