Saturday, December 20, 2008

Kinsey's Candlelight Procession at Epcot



Candlelight Procession at Epcot center is such a neat event, something they do every year, every night, apparently for years, during the Christmas season. High schools from all over the country come to be involved in it, but it is a tradition for Timbercreek high school choir. We knew nothing about it, and so when Kinsey asked me to be a chaperon, I didn't have any idea what it would be like. I thought the choir just went and sang a few songs in Epcot. I should have realized that Disney does not scrimp on anything. This was a huge event, a huge performance. Kinsey's choir sang with two other high school choirs, members of the community, and also some of Disney's professional singers. They were singing with a full orchestra, on a beautiful stage with all sorts of decorations and special lighting effects. Each night there is a celebrity narrator for the Christmas story. This night it was Marley Matlin, and her interpreter. It was beautiful to see her sign this story as her interpreter spoke the words. The songs were AMAZING, and they truly sounded like angels to me. I think they sang 10 songs with narration in between. The performance followed the story of Christs birth from the bible. In a world where so many people are trying to push Christ out of Christmas, I certainly felt the opposite effect this night. People were standing in line for over an hour to get into this performance. I could see how touched so many of them were by hearing this beautiful story and music. One couple approached us and told us to thank our children for being a part of this...because it was so touching to them. I am so glad that Kinsey got to be a part of this and that I got to see her perform. What a special opportunity. Two of Kinsey's best friends from church are in choir with her. Shaina Machado, and Savannah Raskey. Here are Kinsey and Shaina getting ready to walk do the processional to the stage. I thought they looked just beautiful in the gold robes.

Savannah proceeding to the stage.

The stage was so beautiful and the light show and effects were amazing too.


Being a chaperon for this event was a piece of cake. We got to ride on nice buses, with wonderful kids who were so well behaved. Disney fed us all and then while the kids were rehearsing, me and my friends got to go and walk around Epcot for a while as we were waiting for the performance. It turned into such a fun "girls day out" for all of us.

Me and Shaun VonHack in "Morocco"


Shaun Vonhack, Laura Machado, and I in "Japan". It was beautiful day, with a bit of a chill in the air, and it was so wonderful to be out and enjoying the day together.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

This looks like so much fun! Kinsey looks so grown up and beautiful. I love how you turn every event into a party. You really are the queen of a good time! I wish you were here so you could turn my life into a party everyday! We love you!

Kevin, Sarah & Kids said...

Kinsey is growing into such a beautiful girl, Your little family is so darling! a late Merry Christmas to you guys! We miss you so much
ps great christmas card!