
I DID IT! I competed in my first Sprint Triathlon. It went so well, I beat all my best times, and had a blast with my 8 friends that competed with me. What an amazing feeling to accomplish a goal like this. I have never done anything like this before, never considered myself much of a competitor, and the word "triathlon" has always scared me. I can think of many words to describe this process. First...It was scary (the mere thought of it...in the beginning), and challenging (learning so many new things and getting stronger and stronger), exhilarating (always a great feeling after doing a really hard work-out), and exhausting (I can't tell you how many miles I swam, biked and ran in the past four months. Some mornings my body didn't want to function), and bonding (I grew so close to the girls that I was training with. I trained alone most days, but it was so fun to get together and talk about it and then train on Saturday together), and empowering (the first time we did a tri run-through and I knew I could do all three events together, it was an amazing feeling...felt like I could accomplish anything). If you want to read more about my "journey" to the triathlon, and more about the race, I have written a far too detailed account in my previous post (the long version).
My results:
race time: 1.18.58 ...including transitions(I was hoping to do it in just over 1.30, so I was thrilled)
split times: swim (750 meters) 12.22 min. bike (12.7 miles) 37.52 min.
run (2.75miles) 23.53
Rankings:
4th in Novice division (all the first timers)
4th in overall age division (35-39)
25th overall (out of about 200 competitors)

Me and Sara Rose,( one of my best friends), got to the race bright and early (well, not so bright) to set up our transition area.

All my cute "triathlon pals". L to R - Stephenie Dowdy, Jessica Martinez, Me, Andrea Rediski, Beckie Lowe, Marie Winchester, Traci Bosch, Sara Rose, Larell Lockhart.

And the race begins. Can you see me? I am the one in the orange swim cap.

Only 12.7 miles to go.

I can see the finish line. Yea!!!!!!

All of us "post triathlon" with a few kids and friends. Every one of us finished the race, improved our times, and accomplished a big goal. Yea!
3 comments:
What a great accomplishment! And how fun to do it with friends :-) Way to go!
Wow Amy you are ripped girl!! Congrats on your accomplishment. What's next Tour de France? Your awesome Amy good job!!
MML (Mike, Madison, and Luke)
Amy-
You're so awesome! Still one of my greatest heros!
Post a Comment