To celebrate our 20th anniversary, John and I took a 7 day Caribbean cruise back in March. Okay, so not "on" our anniversary, but within the same year. After saving and saving and putting this trip off many times in the last years, we figured sometimes you just have to GO!!! We needed it so much. What a perfectly wonderful trip we had. Our ports were amazing, weather great, food so yummy, and it was great to be just "John and Amy". The sad part of the cruise was that we were all scheduled to go with our good friends from college, the Haslam's, but due to some family emergencies, they were not able to come at the last minute. That did put a damper on things as we missed them greatly, but we of course LOVED our time together and had an amazing time. We feel so blessed to have been able to do this. The kids were for the most part "on their own", with Kinsey and Kennedy in charge of them, and my sweet Friend Stefanie Dowdy checking up on them and spending a few nights. She told me later that they didn't even need her, and had everything under control. Aww. Good kids. This first picture is one of John and I in the Bahamas. Our Ports were Nassau Bahamas, St. Thomas, San Juan Puerto Rico, and a private Island.
John and I as we were first setting sail. How exciting.
We had a great day in the Bahamas. It was so wonderful to be surrounded by such light aqua blue water.
We spent the day on the beach in front of the beautiful and huge Atlantis Hotel. Then we walked through town and shopped.
We met some wonderful friends on the cruise. One day John was wearing his BYU shirt, and a woman stopped him and asked if he was from Utah. We got to talking, and they are also Mormons and they are from Utah. Janeen and Blaine Anderson were traveling with one of their daughters and her husband. We all became fast friends and ended up eating together, touring together, and having a great time. We feel so blessed to have met such wonderful people and hope to see then when we go to Utah.
The morning we pulled into St. Thomas, this is the view that John and I had from the back deck of the boat where we ate our breakfast. AMAZING. Like a post card. It was hard to believe it was real. To me...this is what paradise looks like.
We took a gondola up the mountain, and had an even better view. There were hiking paths, and animals, and a restaurant up there. It was a great place to spend the morning. In the afternoon, we headed over to meet our friends at a beach and we snorkeled. So many fish, and water as clear as pool water. It just astounds me. I just loved St. Thomas. But it is interesting how pristine it looks from the boat, but then when you are driving up through the mountains, it is apparent that it is a country that struggles to make a living. Lots of run down houses and neighborhoods, but sweet nice people.
This tent was on the back deck of our boat. We ate here for our breakfast and lunch. I loved being out there and loved the view, whether at sea, or in port.
John and I loved getting dressed up and going to dinner each night and then seeing all the entertainment. Usually we went up to get another "snack" at our favorite outdoor cafe around midnight. Aww...what a life.
Our next stop was San Juan Puerto Rico. I really did not know what to expect, and I guess I didn't expect much. OH MY GOODNESS...WE LOVED IT! I could write an entire blog about this one destination. Old San Juan is so steeped in history, so beautiful and historic, so much more "European" looking than I ever thought. We walked around the ancient wall along the water, then through the city, then went to the phenomenal fort, then back through the city. It is a PHOTOGRAPHERS DREAM. I took so many pictures. Below, this is John at the Fort. It is huge, and multileveled, with spectacular views, and it even has this amazing old cemetery right next to it. I could not get enough of it all.
Pretty sure I took a million pictures of this city, but could not post them all. I LOVE all the architecture in the Old city. So many vibrant colors, so many details. All enclosed by a giant wall and a fort.
Yes, I have a door fettish, and Puerto Rico did not let me down in this department.
This was taken from on top of the Fort.
The amazing fort
This lighthouse was on top of the fort. Obviously build at a different time than the original fort, but to me, the two styles together, were so beautiful. I was pretty much obsessed with this structure, the color scheme, the architecture...and might have moved in if I could have.
This Iquana just walked out in front of me and started to pose.
Entrance to Old San Juan
Old San Juan has the most interesting building. Gorgeous colorful row houses, some beautifully restored, and then on the next block, abandoned buildings. But even the abandoned buildings were full of charm. This old hotel is a perfect example. Another one of my favorite spots in old San Juan.
We found this amazing courtyard strung with pink kites. Floating Art. So beautiful.
Could not get enough of these colorful and charming homes. Restored or rustic. I loved them all.
Another fun night aboard ship with our friends the Andersons
Our last stop, a day on the cruise ships private island
It was truly a little paradise for the day. The snorkeling was amazing and John and I even swam out to this tiny little island. We would have been happy to stay on this tiny little island...well, I guess if they had left some of the food :)
Last night on the boat. Sniff.
It was very had to leave this floating paradise...that fed us, entertained us, let us take naps, cleaned up after us, fed us some more, and took us to exotic locations. But when you come home to these faces, home is the best place to be!
Since we came home on my birthday week-end, the kids had balloons, signs, and a night out to Tijiuana Flats all planned out. Pretty great homecoming :)
















1 comment:
What a fun cruise! So glad you could get away! LOVED the pictures, you seriously are an amazing photographer!
Post a Comment