"The yard I grew up in"

One of my favorite parts of our vacation to Utah is all the time we spend in my parents yard in Farmington Utah. A big rambling yard with a large house and a barn shaped garage. A large adjoining field with a hill perfect for sledding in the winter, a pool that is almost as old as I am, large trees, a trampoline, an old barn, a gully, and most of all...TONS of memories. Nothing fancy or new, but everything perfect. I moved to Utah when I was 7 and I spent most of my springs, summers and falls, from the ages 7-13, playing, imagining, and exploring in this yard. I LOVE to see my kids enjoying this piece of property. It starts to get shady in the evening, making for a wonderful cool spot to gather. I love to watch the golden light fill the back yard as the sun goes down. I love to look across the street to the farm land. I love to watch the sunsets. I love sitting and chatting with my parents as we have a meal on the back porch. My kids and their cousins love the trampoline, love running and playing on the grass (very different than our crazy florida grass), love playing hide and seek, love rides on Grandpa's tractor, and of course love the long hours that are spent in the pool. A spontaneous family swim party or barbecue could happen on any given night. I know one day my parents will have to sell this property as it is getting too large for them to take care of, and their large home is getting quite old and in need of too much repair...but until then...I am so glad that all four of my kids get the chance to run barefoot, swim at any hour of the day, climb trees, pick apricots and cherries, explore the old barn, and just relax in Grandma and Grandpa Fulks' yard.
Carver, Cooper, Kenna, with cousins Parker and Brooklyn. After an afternoon of swimming, they took to the trampoline for the demonstration of all their tricks.



Trampoline tricks. Parker, our little gymnast cousin, taught Carver all sorts of things.


Kennedy and my mom heading up to check on the raspberries or the apricots. Kennedy is always my mom's little helper.
Dinner and desert on the porch with my parents.

Another popsicle for Coop. My mom had a never ending supply. Our favorite are the "Pace" bars. Yum.

This bridge (above), overlooks my parents property. This gully below was the sight of the old Bamburger Railway way back when. The train apparently went right through my parents property. This gully, provided a whole world of exploration for me and as a child. I walked over this bridge almost daily to get to the neighborhood on the hill above our home. Also was the fastest way to get to church. So many memories of all of this. Some years my kids go up to this bridge to watch the fireworks on the 4th of July.

This is the view from my parents field. You can see across to our neighbors farm land, then beyond that, the Great Salt Lake. Farmington is a small town about 25 minutes north of Salt Lake. Though it is becoming quite a different town than when I was growing up (huge houses being built all over the mountain), it still has a small town feel, with the benefits of being a suburb of SLC. A great place to grow up.

Cooper spending a little time on the hill in my parents field.
One of my favorite parts of our vacation to Utah is all the time we spend in my parents yard in Farmington Utah. A big rambling yard with a large house and a barn shaped garage. A large adjoining field with a hill perfect for sledding in the winter, a pool that is almost as old as I am, large trees, a trampoline, an old barn, a gully, and most of all...TONS of memories. Nothing fancy or new, but everything perfect. I moved to Utah when I was 7 and I spent most of my springs, summers and falls, from the ages 7-13, playing, imagining, and exploring in this yard. I LOVE to see my kids enjoying this piece of property. It starts to get shady in the evening, making for a wonderful cool spot to gather. I love to watch the golden light fill the back yard as the sun goes down. I love to look across the street to the farm land. I love to watch the sunsets. I love sitting and chatting with my parents as we have a meal on the back porch. My kids and their cousins love the trampoline, love running and playing on the grass (very different than our crazy florida grass), love playing hide and seek, love rides on Grandpa's tractor, and of course love the long hours that are spent in the pool. A spontaneous family swim party or barbecue could happen on any given night. I know one day my parents will have to sell this property as it is getting too large for them to take care of, and their large home is getting quite old and in need of too much repair...but until then...I am so glad that all four of my kids get the chance to run barefoot, swim at any hour of the day, climb trees, pick apricots and cherries, explore the old barn, and just relax in Grandma and Grandpa Fulks' yard.
The Pool: built over 30 years ago...pretty much looks just the same as it did then. Provides hours and hours of fun for family and friends, just as it did when I was young.
Cute Kinsey as the evening sun gets low in the sky. A beautiful night in the yard.
Kinsey and Brooklyn relaxing on the back porch.
No comments:
Post a Comment