The girls did a great job and the night was so special. The barn was packed with people, all sitting on bails of hay. The night was warm, the music was inspiring, the spirit was strong, and I was so thankful to have witnessed something like this.
Check out my photography blog
Thursday, December 24, 2009
O Holy Night
I often wonder what it must have been like on that holy night so long ago. I think of a very young girl that was probably scared and worried and completely overwhelmed by the task that she had to bear. I think of her husband, and how worried he must have been knowing that he had to find a place for his wife to give birth. Birth to the Savior of the world. I think of the lowly conditions. I think of the miraculous things humble shepherds saw as they tended their sheep. I try to picture that heavenly chorus and can see it in my head every time I listen to so many of my favorite Christmas carols..."Joy to the world", "Hark the herald angels sing", and "The Hallelujah Chorus". I imagine our savior "King of Kings", wrapped up, cuddling with his mother in the most humble of circumstances. I wonder what it would have felt like to hold your new born baby boy and know that he would belong to the world. What a special moment it must have been for Mary to hold him and know that he was hers...even if just for a short moment. I think of the wonder of the shepherds. They who had so little, so few earthly possessions, were chosen as the first ones to witness this Christ child. I think of our Heavenly Father looking down on the whole scene, and I realize the gift that he gave us. The gift of his only begotten son. And I ultimately think of the gift that the savior gave us. Born into humble circumstances, never living a life of recognition or glory, yet he ministered and taught and showed the way for us. And most of all, he gave his life for us and atoned for our sins so that we may one day return to live with him. O Holy Night. Tis the night of our Saviors birth.
A few weeks ago, a family in our ward opened their farm to us and any friends in the community, and helped to put on a "living nativity", with many of the young girls in our ward participating along with many live animals. The program had musical numbers, narration, and such an amazingly sweet spirit. Kennedy played Mary, and as I watched her, I again thought of the young girl that Mary must have been and I was thankful for her courage and strength.






Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a neat thing for Kennedy to participate in, and it was warm??? Not so much here. It's after eleven and what am I doing blogging and not wrapping? BTW this is Nic not Mason:)
That looks like such a special night. Kennedy is the perfect Mary. I think that I needed a few more nativity experiences around here. Instead, I keep humming the song "Where are you Christmas, why can't I find you?" Hmmm, maybe I just need to change my tune. :) I am glad to see you glowing with Christmas spirit. Thanks for sharing. We love and miss you!
Post a Comment