Saturday, January 7, 2012

Deck the Halls


Ever since the kids were tiny, we have had a tradition of decorating the Christmas tree.  We do it early in the season and usually make a big deal about it.  I remember my mom doing the same thing when I was young, and I always loved the feeling of starting out the season like this.  This year was extra important to me as I realize that it's Kinsey's last year at home.  Not that she won't be home for Christmas, but she probably won't be around for all the usual traditions. I wanted one more year with all four of my kids participating in our family traditions.  It was wonderful. Sniff. 


So we had a really special night. We played music (we always play manheim steamroller), decorated the tree, danced around to the music, talked about Christmas traditions, remembered Christmases past, and then turned off all the lights except the tree lights, and read the Christmas story as we drank hot chocolate.  It is so important to me to help my family remember that Christmas is about our Savior Jesus Christ. I really felt the spirit in our home that night and will cherish the looks on my kids faces as we discussed the baby Jesus and how he is the ultimate gift. His life and atonement are such a gift to us.  For those very reasons, the christmas season brings such joy to me.  I want my kids to have that same joy in their hearts each time they hear a song that praises the birth of our Savior. 







Another wonderful moment . Watching the kids play together and dance around the room.  When Kinsey was little, she would put on a pretty dress and dance around the Christmas tree. This night the kids made up an entire dance to one of Manheim Steamrollers songs. It was so funny...and sweet...and goofy.  John got the whole thing on video...and i SO want to post it, but pretty sure the girls would disown me if I did that. 



Cooper was having a "I'm going to miss Kinsey next year" moment.  Ahhh, just tear my heart out now!

4 comments:

Sara Rose said...

Love, love, love this post! Beautiful pictures!

Steph Wynder said...

I recognize a few of those ornaments :)

Simply White said...

It's so fun to see your cute family!

~LisaLou~ said...

Hi Amy!
Beautiful pictures! I love fun family tradidtions, they tie our heartstrings together! Your Christmas card was so cute this year as always. Thank you for sending us one! Your Halloween crafts and room projects were great. You are so talented.
Love you guys,
Lisa